Have you ever googled what is in your air freshener? Under the Federal Hazardous Substances Act, manufacturers are not required to list all ingredients of household cleaners so you can’t even check. The Environmental Working Group did a study showing that cleaning supplies used in schools had a large number of toxic ingredients that aren’t even on the products labels. One scent of Febreze contained the third highest amount of air pollutants (89 of them) of which only 3 were listed on the label. Some of the most toxic ingredients irritate your lungs, ironic for a product that you put in the air, they caused serious allergic reactions, asthma, migraines, cancer, etc. Some of the scarier ingredients are listed below.
- BHT – Neurotoxicity, Endocrine disruption, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Occupational hazards, Biochemical or cellular level changes
- ACETALDEHYDE – Cancer, Developmental/reproductive toxicity, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Occupational hazards
- FRAGRANCE – Neurotoxicity, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Miscellaneous
- PROPYLENE GLYCOL – Cancer, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Persistence and bioaccumulation, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Enhanced skin absorption
- 1,3-DICHLORO-2-PROPANOL – Cancer, Violations, restrictions & warnings, Occupational hazards
Don’t fear you don’t have to stink in the loo. You can make a super great smelling and inexpensive bathroom spray using Young Living Essential Oils. It is very important that you use this real pure therapeutic brand of oils since most of the ones on the market contain dangerous synthetics or were processed or grown with chemicals. Most of the ones that say pure and therapeutic really aren’t because the FDA allows them to be labeled as so with as little as 5% essential oils of any quality that haven’t even been tested.
Bathroom Air Freshener Recipe
1 Tbs of baking soda
1 squirt of vegetable glycerin
10-20 drops of your favorite Young Living Essential Oil(s)
Oil Blend Suggestions:
- Lavender and Stress Away
- Citrus Fresh
- Peppermint and Stress Away
- Tea Tree (10-15), Lemon (1), and Lime (1)
Mix oil in a bowl the essential oil into the baking soda (into it is a little pasty and then add to the bottle)
Put into a squirt bottle (glass preferred because citrus and some oils can erode plastic)
Shake and spray
- Pets: Don’t spray directly on your pets. Avoid using high-phenol oils such as Oregano and Thyme with any animals, especially cats. Cats are also generally averse to the smell of citrus essential oils.
To order any of these oils go to the main page on www.lastinglightoils.com and click Place an Order in the upper right hand side. To buy a full kit select Member to buy just an individual oil or two select Retail. Email or call us if you have any questions.